Reefer Truck Insurance
Companies specializing in the transport of refrigerated goods face unique challenges in acquiring insurance given the perishable nature of the commodities being hauled and the specialized refrigeration equipment used in trucks to prevent food spoilage. Colonial’s Reefer Truck Insurance program covers refrigerated trucks which haul fruits, vegetables, dairy products, seafood, and other perishable foods on a consistent basis. One of the chief considerations of a comprehensive reefer truck insurance policy is full coverage of refrigerated cargo as this is one of the few classifications of cargo which can potentially spoil during transportation. Companies specializing in the transport of refrigerated goods often use trucks with refrigerated trailers which may need specialty insurance of their own.
Insurance Coverages You Need
Colonial Trucking Insurance is one of the nation’s leading truck insurance specialists and our experience with trucking operations specializing in the transport of perishable goods enables us to understand and address the unique insurance challenges facing these companies. We can evaluate your trucking operation and provide a policy tailored to your company’s needs, and with access to 20+ providers of commercial truck insurance nationwide, our rates are some of the most competitive in the industry.
Insurance policies for refrigerated goods transport often contain significant gaps in coverage, such as a total exclusion or sublimit for “high-risk” commodities (seafood, for example). A comprehensive reefer truck insurance policy should account for all classifications of cargo being transported on a regular basis and will contain the following cargo and physical damage coverages:
- Reefer Breakdown – provides coverage for cargo loss caused by the mechanical or electrical breakdown or malfunction of a temperature control system.
- Loading & Unloading – provides coverage for the commodity while it is being loaded or unloaded.
- Debris Removal – provides coverage for reasonable and necessary costs to remove debris caused by and resulting from a covered loss.
- Broadened Pollution – provides coverage for the discharge of pollutants which are in, upon, owned, being transported by, loaded or unloaded from a covered auto.
- Earned Freight – replaces income lost when a load cannot be delivered due to a covered cargo loss.
- Sue and Labor – covers costs related to preventing further loss to damaged cargo. Also known as loss mitigation.
- Collision and Comprehensive – to protect your tractor, trailer and the refrigerated unit for collision, fire, theft, vandalism and other causes of loss
- Towing and Storage – provides coverage for expenses related to towing and storage of a damaged equipment
- Combined Deductibles – this coverage allows you to pay only one deductible in the event a loss occurs involving both physical damage and cargo.
Reefer truck insurance sample quote:
|Fleet Size||5 trucks|
|Equipment value (trucks and trailers)||$450,000|
|Commodities hauled||Fresh produce|
|Years in business||4|
|Number of claims in past 3 years||1|
|Annual premium for $1m Liability, Uninsured Motorist, Physical Damage and $100k Cargo limit||$46,000|
|Pay Plan||10 installments of $3,833|
We encourage you to NEVER base insurance decision solely on price. Normally, when we buy a product we look for the lowest price — if all other things are equal, we take it. If you insure for lower rates, but that company can’t provide good timely service, the lower premiums will not help you out at all when you can’t get loaded due to problems with your insurance. The same is valid when your claim is not covered because your insurance agent sold you a “subprime” policy. Please note that your actual proposal may vary based on underwriting factors such as location, age of driver, MVR and more. Coverages, payment plans, policy terms and conditions vary state by state. No two policies are the same. No two insurance needs are the same either.
DISCLAIMER: Coverages may vary by state and by insured business. Consult your agent about coverages you may need for your unique situation. Coverage descriptions above are for general information only. Actual coverage is subject to all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.
Please complete our Instant Quote form for a reefer truck insurance quote or call us at (855) 265-9999 to speak to one of our licensed trucking agents.
Some coverage programs can include:
• Rates starting at $400/Month/Truck
• Mileage or Revenue Reporting Form
• 24/7 Access to Certificate of Insurance
• Profit sharing physical damage policies
• Complimentary DOT safety programs
• “A” Rated Insurance Companies