Skip to main content

Motor Truck Cargo

We help trucking fleets lower their total cost of risk, improve coverage, and stay compliant. See for yourself what makes us different.

Colonial Trucking Insurance

Insurance Programs for Trucking Fleets

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance

As a common or contract carrier, you are responsible for the goods you transport. This exposure is covered by Motor Truck Cargo Insurance. This coverage protects you if you’re legally liable for damage, destruction, or other loss to a customer’s property while in your possession. The cargo policy can also contain provisions to insure the cargo when it is in your terminal or warehouse.

The Motor Truck Cargo Insurance policy can be, and usually is, tailored to meet your operations and exposure. Policies often contain significant exclusions that create many situations where there might be no coverage. The policy is purchased with a maximum load limit per vehicle. Under-insuring the load can prove catastrophic to you in the event of a claim.

A good insurance broker will ask you pertinent questions that properly address this concern.

Colonial Insurance can help you get a cargo policy with limits anywhere from $25,000 up to $5,000,000. Please complete our one page quick quote sheet for a quick premium indication or call us at (855) 265-9999 to speak to one of our licensed trucking agents.

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance Questions

1. Am I required to carry cargo coverage?

No. As of 2011, the federal government no longer requires you to carry this coverage. Most shippers and freight brokers, however, will require you to have at least $100,000 in coverage.

2. What additional coverages are available for my cargo policy?
  • Refrigeration Breakdown Coverage – covers losses caused by malfunctions in temperature control units.
  • Earned Freight Coverage – replaces income lost when a load cannot be delivered due to a covered cargo loss.
  • Removal Expenses – coverage if load is accidentally dumped on a roadway or waterway for the cost to remove debris or extract pollutants caused by the debris.
  • Sue and Labor Coverage for costs related to preventing further loss to damaged cargo.
  • Earned Freight Coverage is coverage for freight charges the customer loses because of not delivering a load
  • Loading & Unloading – provides coverage for the commodity while it is being loaded or unloaded.
3. Are high value commodities covered on my policy?

Many insurance carriers have exclusions and limitations for “target” high-theft commodities such as consumer electronics, seafood and pharmaceuticals. Coverage for these commodities can typically be added for an additional premium.

4. How do I get cargo coverage through your agency

Please complete our one page quick quote sheet for a quick premium indication or call us at (877) 317-5764 to speak to one of our licensed trucking agents.

DISCLAIMER: Coverages may vary by state and by insured business. Consult your agent about coverages you may need for your unique situation. Coverage descriptions above are for general information only. Actual coverage is subject to all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.


We can provide the following types of truck insurance:

primary liability
physical damage
motor truck cargo
occupational accident
workers compensation
general liability
broker bonds

Some coverage programs can include:

• Rates starting at $400/Month/Truck
• Mileage or Revenue Reporting Form
• 24/7 Access to Certificate of Insurance
• Profit sharing physical damage policies
• Complimentary DOT safety programs
• “A” Rated Insurance Companies

Ready to get started on your quote? Start Your Quote