Skip to main content

Physical Damage Insurance

We help trucking fleets lower their total cost of risk, improve coverage, and stay compliant. See for yourself what makes us different.

Colonial Trucking Insurance

Insurance Programs for Trucking Fleets

Trucking Physical Damage Insurance

Trucking Physical Damage Insurance is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your vehicle. This general term includes Collision insurance, a Comprehensive insurance or the more limited Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC) insurance.

  • Collision insurance provides protection for your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident. Collision insurance pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another object or overturns or rolls.
  • Comprehensive insurance provides protection for your vehicle if it is damaged by something other than a collision with a vehicle or object, or if your vehicle is stolen.
  • Fire and Theft with CAC provides similar protection to that of Comprehensive insurance, except its coverage is limited to certain specific, non-collision incidents. Fire and Theft with CAC does not cover windshield claims.
What Physical Damage Insurance Covers

When choosing commercial trucking insurance, you have to remember that not all accidents occur on the road. Fire, theft, vandalism and other disasters present a very real danger as well. In order to protect against such occurrences, physical damage coverage or comprehensive coverage may insure you against unexpected events like these. Physical Damage coverage can also help pay for towing and storage expenses incurred after a covered accident subject to a certain limit.

What Physical Damage Won’t Cover

Physical damage policies do not pay out for damage done to cargo. The standard Physical Damage policy does not cover driver’s personal items, electronics, tarps, chains, binders, tools as well as any non-permanently attached equipment to the insured’s tractor or trailer. Coverage for these items is optional and can be added for an additional premium.

Additional Policies to Consider with Physical Damage

Physical damage is beneficial to any trucking insurance, even though the law only requires primary trucking liability insurance. In order to be completely covered, trailer insurance and cargo insurance are also available. Independents may want to carry bobtail insurance with physical damage, as they may be included in their contract employer’s primary trucking liability insurance while on contract.

Who Needs Trucking Physical Damage Insurance?

If you have a loan on your vehicle, or if you want to fully protect your vehicle, you should choose Physical Damage insurance.

  • Collision insurance will provide protection in case of a collision.
  • Comprehensive insurance will provide protection against almost everything except a collision with another vehicle or object.
  • Fire and Theft with CAC insurance is a limited form of Comprehensive insurance specially designed for specific heavy truck types.
Physical Damage Coverage Deductibles and Other Details

For Physical Damage insurance, you must choose a deductible. The deductible is the amount that you agree to pay out of pocket when you have a claim.

Choosing a higher deductible is an easy way to lower the price of your insurance. Be sure you choose a deductible that you can afford to pay out of pocket at any time.

When you select Physical Damage insurance, you also are required to submit a Stated Amount, which is your best estimate of the current value of your vehicle. The Stated Amount should take the age and condition of your vehicle into account, as well as any permanently attached equipment.

How do I get physical damage coverage?

Please complete our one page quick quote sheet for a quick premium indication or call us at (855) 265-9999 to speak to one of our licensed trucking agents.

DISCLAIMER: Coverages may vary by state and by insured business. Consult your agent about coverages you may need for your unique situation. Coverage descriptions above are for general information only. Actual coverage is subject to all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.


We can provide the following types of truck insurance:

primary liability
physical damage
motor truck cargo
occupational accident
workers compensation
general liability
broker bonds

Some coverage programs can include:

• Rates starting at $400/Month/Truck
• Mileage or Revenue Reporting Form
• 24/7 Access to Certificate of Insurance
• Profit sharing physical damage policies
• Complimentary DOT safety programs
• “A” Rated Insurance Companies

Ready to get started on your quote?  Start Your Quote